Monday, April 20, 2009

Goodbye Grandpa and Baby Shower

Last Monday my Grandpa Campbell passed away. He had been battling pneumonia on and off these past few months so it wasn't really unexpected but still hard for the whole family. My Grandma Campbell passed away a couple of years ago so now they are, sadly, both gone. I'll always remember how close I was to both of them as I was growing up. My Grandpa always had a smile for everyone and loved a good visit. Grandma would sit and color with me for hours (unfortunately I didn't get her artisitc talent) and always had her lipstick handy to touch up for company. They had a wide variety of different houses and each had unique attributes. One had "reindeer" (elk or deer) that we would watch on christmas eve, one was next to shopping at the Layton mall and also where I found my cat, one was on my aunt and uncle's dairy farm and there was always lots to do there. I didn't get to see either of them after I moved to Florida so I did miss out on their later years. I know it's selfish but it was hard to see them decline from the healthy, lively, active grandparents I knew. But they provided me with a lifetime of memories.

On a more cheerful note, my boss and a few coworkers came to my house on Sunday to give me my baby shower. We had intended to have it that day at a restaurant but since I was placed on bedrest we had a few of them come to me. It was really nice of them and I was so excited that they cared so much! They gave me 2 diaper cakes (diapers arranged to look like a wedding cake) that were so incredible! I'd never seen one before and was impressed with their skill! I also recieved lots of clothes and blankets. I wasn't expecting so much stuff! Thanks guys!!!

6 comments:

Nielsons said...

Complete bedrest...what a bummer. Strangely enough, when Mikey is about 3 months old you will wish that you could go on complete bedrest, if just for 24 hours ha ha. Hang in there. These kiddos are so worth all the hard work it takes to get them here and keep them healthy. You guys will be great parents.

Mary Child said...

How fun that you got to have a baby shower even while on bedrest! I too got a diaper cake for my first baby, but Gage's shower was the only one. I didn't even get a shower for Ivy... Those diaper cakes are cute, fun, and very practical, as diapers are not cheap. What a great gift!

I'm sorry about your grandpa; I really enjoyed this post, as Jon doesn't really tell me much about the fam or memories he has. And I've always wondered where Jon's artistic ability came from- it must have been Grandma Campbell!

Good luck with the bedrest- we're all on the Mikey countdown... Jill having a baby has been a LONG time coming! :)

The Child Family said...

What a fun baby shower!!! I'm so glad they were able to come to you, how thoughtful of them. I have never seen a diaper cake, did you take any pictures?

I was sorry to hear about your grandpa, I was even more sorry when we went to the funeral and I realized I knew NOTHING about him. He seemed like a fantastic man, and I can't wait to meet him one day. At least he's not longer suffering, and he and your grandma are together again!!!!

I'm sorry about the bed rest, but at least it'll keep Mikey healthy and in the incubator a little longer.

Shalie said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa, that is sad. But, I'm glad he's back with his wife and doesn't have to be in any more pain or be sick anymore. What a nice babyshower, diapers are like gold with new babies!
You're on bedrest? I'm so sorry. Sorry about the placenta previa too, that's no fun. Isn't it nice to know we live in a time with such great modern medicine that they can do a c-section and you still get a very healthy happy baby! Good luck

mommynolan said...

Any news yet? Just in case you don't recognize my name, I am Mary's mom and I was actually born in Miami, Doctors Hospital to be exact. And love to read about your adventures in my old stomping grounds. Just keep waiting, babies are worth it. But I truly hope you are not still waiting.

The Child Family said...

Happy mother's day. Good luck on Monday, we'll be praying for you