Thursday, September 4, 2008

Waiting for baby...

Well everyone we decided to get up close and personal this week. If you get queasy hearing about medical procedures or have no desire to hear about our efforts to get pregnant I advise you to skip this week’s post. That being said, here’s the details.
We stopped our birth control the first week of January. My cycles seemed to be pretty regular right off. They are a bit long (30 days) but the doctor said that’s okay as long as we don’t hit 40. So we expected it would take a few months for everything to sort itself out. In March I went to my annual doctor visit and she said things seemed good and to let her know if we weren’t having success after 6 months since my cycles were already regular. After that we started taking ovulation tests and they consistently said I was ovulating right in the middle of my cycle. So in July we thought we finally had made it happen. I was late and was having some pregnancy symptoms. But the home pregnancy tests kept saying negative. My period finally hit at day 50. I went to the doctor the next week and she said it seemed I hadn’t ovulated that month and it seemed like a good time to start some basic testing. So this month I’ve already had blood drawn twice to check hormone levels- it all looked okay. I also had a lovely test done called a hysterosalpingogram. Basically you lie on an x-ray table while they force dye from your uterus up into your fallopian tubes. It is incredibly painful. My right tube looked great but my left had some adhesions. The tubes themselves were open so they should be okay. My doctor said just the flushing can sometimes help if you have any adhesions or small blockages.
Next week I have another blood hormone level test and we’ll see where we go from there…

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, sweetie. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. As I'm sure you know, sometimes the pressure to have babies makes it more difficult to do so . . . I know several people who have tried for years, finally adopted, then 2 months later they get pregnant. Life is crazy that way, don't you think? I fully expected to have difficulties getting pregnant, since both of my older sisters did, but it came as a suprise to us. Hang in there! You'll make a great mom!

The Child Family said...

That's far from gross. It's a good thing I don't get going on these things too much, you'd never speak to me again due to the disgust I'd create :)
I hope everything comes out normal, and your dr just tells you to go somewhere exotic and get it on so you're relaxed and not worrying about the pillow under the hips lying on your back for an hour things. TMI????

Carrie said...

Hey Jill! Geez...it's been years since I saw you! I saw your comment on Brian & Christine's blog and so I looked you up! Good luck with the tests and everything. I hope it all goes well.

Carrie Giles Warner

Mary Child said...

Jill, I'm getting in on this late as we have been out of town, but I still wanted to throw some encouragement your way and tell you we're pullin' for you! Hang in there, and good luck with the fertility process; it will all be worth it in the end when you have your perfect little bundle of joy in your arms. We love you Jill! Good luck....