Monday, September 6, 2010

Never A Bridesmaid... And Blackberry


So Mikey finally killed my dinosaur of a cell phone by dunking it in Tibo's water bowl. Since it was the $20 phone from 3 years ago I didn't really mind. We decided it was time for me to move into a bit more technology and join the rest of the world so I got the new Blackberry Torch. I love it! I'm still figuring out how to do some things but I can check email in seconds, look up anything on the internet, etc. And it has a great camera. Mikey got another haircut yesterday so I took a quick after picture :) Now if I can only figure out ringtone purchases...
Now it's time for my pity party ramblings. Very few people read this thing anymore so I'm not too worried. I came to a bitter realization this week. My last good friend eloped recently so it appears I will never be in a wedding other than my own. I have never even been asked to be in a wedding. Sadly, I am not exaggerating. My older brother eloped, younger brother never even mentioned it and no friends have ever asked me. I guess that shows how poorly I do with female friendships. I have not gone to a bridal shower or baby shower in 8 years. I did not have a bridal shower. My baby shower was thrown by girls at work (still incredibly grateful for that!). I just don't seem to get the workings of a female friendship very well. I do have a few friends but not people you just call to chat with or hang out with on a whim. I really do envy people that can do that but I don't seem to have that ability. I don't really understand... I would ask what I'm doing wrong but I don't know if I really want to know how I'm so bad at it. Constructive criticism is what I need :) Thanks for reading my ramblings.

8 comments:

Queen of the Castle said...

I really wanted you in my wedding. The problem was timing. We needed time to save to pay for the wedding, so it had to be at the end of the summer. Then Jamie's sister was out of town for a while so we had to wait for her to get back. It ended up that our wedding fell during your orientation week at vet school which you couldn't miss.
I was overwhelmed by dealing with the new in-laws and my mother (everyone had their own ideas) and with school and work I failed to communicate with you during that time. I've always felt bad about it.

Jill Child McGowan said...

It means a lot to me to hear that as I never understood why I wasn't asked. Thank you :)

Mary said...

Mikey's hair is so cute! I wish I could get Benji's hair to look like that, but it's so uncooperative.
Bridesmaids . . . I didn't want any at my wedding, though my Mom insisted that my sisters all wear the same skirt, so she found the fabric and sewed them all without my asking her to. Plus, we got married so quickly and I was so busy that summer, that I didn't have time to figure any of it out. I still feel guilty about not coming to your reception. I'm sorry about that.

The Child Family said...

Mikey looks adorable with his new haircut!!!!!
I'm sorry about "never being a bridesmaid"- if it makes you feel any better I was only in my twin sisters wedding-
and had you even come to our wedding you would have been in it- not that there was much to be in, but you could have worn a white skirt with a colorful shirt like the rest of the sisters and been in pictures- that was the extent of our wedding "involvement" because we just did a luncheon after the temple

The Child Family said...

When are you going to blog again? I miss seeing what's going on in your guys' lives!!!!

Mary Child said...

Ohhhhh boy Jill, I am JUST NOW seeing this post for the first time! (Can we say SLACKER)? I think I've even chatted with you on the phone since you posted this... and I DEFINITELY could have talked about this issue for a long time!!!

First of all, I am sorry about eloping! It hurt the mom's, but I figured that was the extent of it; it never even occurred to me that the sisters would have enjoyed a wedding!

I would have loved to have had you in my wedding; Janae is my only sister! Although, being petite, and cute, with a knock-out figure... I don't think bride's want you standing next to them Jill! You're not supposed to be cuter than the bride! That might be one of your problems!!!

As for the "female friendships" thing- I have never really been good at that either, Jill. I've always been that type that is more of a hermit, and totally content with Jon (or boyfriends before Jon), and not needing a lot of the "drama" that seems to go with female relationships. It isn't until I look out at the rest of the world, and I see all these women with their super-tight Bff's that I start to wonder what is wrong with me.

I have had the same complaint! I have "friends," but not many confidants, and it does make me feel lonely at times. Right at the moment, Janae is by far my best female friend, and that's because she's obligated through sisterhood to be!

Jill, there is NOTHING wrong with you! I always felt that you were a reserved person, and I never wanted to pry into your life or your thoughts or feelings without being invited, so I sort of just held back. I really regret not taking more advantage of the time I had near you in Pullman. I honestly just thought that you didn't like me! I'm loud and annoying and hyper, and you're calm, and smart, and reserved. I really just thought that I annoyed the crap out of you. So I kinda kept a safe distance.

I think you have a lot of really great qualities that would make you an awesome friend. You're level-headed, you have a great sense of humor, you're smart, you're loyal, you're stable, you're nurturing, and you're real! Don't spend a single minute wondering what is "wrong" with you. Be grateful for all the things that are "right" with you!

Maybe the reserved Child gene (that somehow skipped Jon) is your only obstacle! I can personally tell you that I always had a very favorable impression and opinion of you, Jill. You just seemed so reserved, and I never wanted to make you uncomfortable by prying into your life.

You are a really great person, Jill. And I really am looking forward to seeing you very soon!

And, CONGRATS on the Blackberry.

And Mikey is the CUTEST KID I HAVE EVER SEEN! I can't WAIT to see you guys!

~Take care!

Mary Child said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tenia said...

If I ever remarry, and actually have a wedding (I eloped last time) you can definatley be a bridesmaid!! We missed you at book club! And I hope you know you can call and talk to me at any time