Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Going Green Part 1

Since we've been concentrating alot on this topic at our house I thought I'd highlight some of our more interesting efforts. I won't even pretend that we are doing all we can. We still drive our gas guzzling cars and are a bit wasteful with our trash (although we do recycle some). Some of our efforts are more driven by money savings but I think it's good to make an effort no matter what the reasoning. Oh, and Mike has a little bit of that self-sufficient apocalyptic think going on lately...
First off we have our well and water pump. This 30 foot deep well serves our sprinkler system. We run the sprinklers for 30 minutes daily with no city water. We also have a couple of faucets that run off of it. The pump turns on when you ask it to only (so it does use electricity but not much). In most areas of the country this may not be an option but it's perfect here where our water table is high. (Have I mentioned our house in 5 ft above sea level.)
Next we have our rain barrel. This is a recent purchase prompted by our plants and other landscaping needs that aren't hooked up to the well. We bought this from Gardener's Supply for less than $200. It is attached to a piece of raingutter that drains about 1/4 of our roof. With the Miami rain it fills up in one good rainstorm. I've been using it constantly to water strawberry beds, herbs, peppers, rinsing outside messes and washing the dogs. Now that we know how effective it is we are planning to get a couple more for prime spots in the yard.
Our inside the house water saver is our tankless hot water heater. We love this thing... We obtained this about 2 years ago and have been enjoying it since. It cost $850 to have installed which included removing our hot water heater tank. There are several reasons to get one of these. They save space (that box in the middle is about the size of a sheet of paper). They are healthier because no bacteria is living in them, when not in use it's empty. You don't have to shut it off when you leave town because it only uses energy when you are running hot water. Also, there is an endless supply of hot water. And of course it saves on your electric bill. We have been saving about $40-45 each month.
Soon I'll do posts on our other toys and efforts but they were too long for just one post :)

3 comments:

The Child Family said...

I love the tankless water heater... is it the kind that go instantly hot? Good job on going green. I wish we could run our sprinklers on well/ irrigation water it gets a little expensive using city water.
So, where are you and Mike off to next? I LOVE reading about your vacations. Like Mary I dream of a time that never was.. for me at least kids do make the romantic, spontaneous getaways difficult

But Mary be grateful you at least graduated first, I'm STILL trying to get that one done.

And I am GREEN with envy that you have a temrerpedic... When we come and visit, can I lay on it?

Jill Child McGowan said...

The tankless heater takes about the same time to go hot as the regular tank.
The tempurpedic is the best investment we've made. The first night on that was the first good night's sleep I've gotten in my life. I'm a light, restless sleeper so that mattress is wonderful! And don't worry, we include it in the basic house tour :)

Mary Child said...

IMPRESSIVE! I have never seen one of those rain gutter barrel things; what a great idea.

And, we are definitely in line to get one of those tankless water heaters too. We're already having to ration our shower time when we have guests, and I love the idea that it's only "on" when you're running hot water.

Your house sure has a lot of perks. You'll deifinitely be able to sell it whenever you're ready!