Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Working too much...

We haven't had anything exciting happen these past couple of weeks so I thought I'd just give a general update...
I worked 60 hours this past week so I'm pretty exhausted. I can always tell the warmer times of year because we have so many dogs come in with problems giving birth. In the past 3 days I've seen two dogs that weren't able to give birth at home. The first one was a yorkie shitzu mix (cute but strange mix) who hadn't had any puppies after 12 hours of labor. After checking her we found she was pregnant with 6 puppies and none had yet moved into the birth canal. Her calcium and glucose levels were okay so we just had to increase her contractions. We gave her an oxytocin injection and all 6 puppies were born in the next 2 hours. All did very well. My next case was a miniature pinscher mix. She had already had 4 puppies (2 dead, 2 live) and still seemed a little swollen. We checked her and she still had 1 remaining puppy who hadn't descended. They were a little tight on money so we went straight for the oxytocin injection. She had the last puppy (alive) about 15 minutes later. That dog wasn't nearly as healthy so we talked a lot about her nutrition and perhaps supplementing the puppies with puppy formula. I have to say there is nothing more rewarding than being able to send a dog home with live puppies. It really is the miracle of birth.
Mike has also been working a lot these past couple of weeks. He's shot several rap videos recently (he does a lot of those) and has been doing 2nd unit for Burn Notice. For those of you that don't know, 2nd unit is the stunt shots in a show or movie. Last season Mike shot 1st unit (all the dialogue and basic shots) for Burn Notice, a USA network show. This season he's just doing some of 2nd unit. He likes the adrenaline rush of all the stunt shots. I don't go to watch on those days :)
Hopefully we'll be posting about the solar panels and new car soon. We're just waiting on the phone call to install the solar panels and we just have to coordinate picking up the new car.
Stay tuned...

4 comments:

Geri said...

Keep the animal tales coming. I never get tired of hearing about your patients. I finally caught an episode of this season's Burn Notice. I'll pay closer attention to the stunts, now that I now Mike is behind the camera.

The Child Family said...

My goodness, 60 hours is a lot, but I guess if you're doing what you lone then it makes it more bearable. Brett and I are thinking about a german shepherd/ lab mix, or a golden retriever. We want a good dog for the kids that won't kill the neighbors, but keep the kids safe. What do you recommend???

Jill Child McGowan said...

I would just go with a dog that gets along great with the kids and forget about the keeping you safe part. You want your dog to be friendly with your kids friends :)
Labs and golden retrievers are always great choices for kids. Also some of the border collies and german shorthair pointers as long as you have lots of time for them.

Mary Child said...

Jill I've been so busy with my sister & her fam I haven't had time to blog; I can't believe this post is 3 days old already! So are you getting the Porsche? And solar panels? I'm impressed and jealous at the same time!!!

So, are there any new developments since our last conversation? Just on pins & needles over here...!